Operations Manager ships with such models to help you build reports using data from the Operations Manager Data Warehouse database. You have to import the models into the Reporting Services. This is how you do it:
- Open the Reports page in your web brower. If you do not know the URL to your reporting server, look in Operations Manager Console > Administration > Settings > Reporting. You will typically see somthing like this:
Open this URL in your browser, then replace ReportServer with:
It would then look like this:
- Click the Upload File button:
- Click Browse and locate the file Event.smdl in folder ReportModels\Other on the Operations Manager installation media, and click Open and then OK.
- Locate the Event file that you just uploaded and point the mouse to the name. You will se a select box, click the down arrow of the select box and choose Manage.
- Click Data Sources then Browse and select Data Warehouse Main and OK. Click Apply to save the change and then click Home in the top left corner.
- Do the same with the file Performance.smdl.
To use the Report Model, you need to open up Report Builder. I did this with the SQL Server 2012 version, older SQL Servers will have older versions and the features will be different:
Then you need to select New Dataset and click Browse other data sources..., select the Event file that you uploaded and click Open and Create:
For now I will not go into details about the creation process but in short: you add fields to your dataset by selecting the entitiy, e.g. Class, Event, Event Parameter, Event Rule, Management Pack, Object or Rule. Then drag and drop fields to the designer. You can also define filters and set options for the dataset. When you are done you can Run the dataset to see the result before you save it.
With the dataset in place you can create a report and use the dataset you have created to extract data from the data warehouse database.